MORE FOOT FACTS:
- Walking Barefoot can cause plantar warts. The virus enters through a cut that could be so small you won't notice it.
- Feet are like a building's foundation. An unstable underpinning creates havoc for the structure it supports. When the 26 bones in your foot are misaligned, chances are that the body will follow suit.
- 75% of us will experience a major foot malady in our lifetime. Women have four times as many foot problems as men.
A lot of foot pain can be avoided (and alleviated) by strengthening and stretching the muscles in your feet and legs. Do these exercises in bare feet:
- Heel Raise/Toe Point - While seated, (1) rise onto the balls of your feet, (2) go up onto your tiptoes, (3) curl your toes under. Hold each position for 5 seconds. Repeat 10 times every day. Good for people with hammertoes, toe cramps, and arch pain.
- Towel Scrunches - Sit on a chair with your feet flat on the floor. Place a medium-size towel on the floor in front of your feet. By scrunching your toes, pull the towel, inch by inch, into the arch of your feet. Do one to three times daily. Good for strengthening the whole foot.